Thursday, February 3, 2011

Week 4.1 "Biplane"

Well hello, this is Bryan speaking to all my up coming fans out there. Don’t mind the cheesy opening this is my first blog and I’m not comfortable talking about myself yet, but I’ll give it my best shot.

This blog is to help me expand my horizons as a designer by displaying and articulating my work. I am a student and throughout my career of being a designer I find myself continuously learning the trade through trial and error, which can only help me continue to grow. The works I post are some of the work I have done and are quite proud of. I welcome criticism and tips on how to better myself so enjoy.




This piece is called, “biplane2”. Why "biplane2" well trial and error that's all I can say. It is the final product of one of my many projects last year and one I’m very proud of and learned a lot from. For this project the objective was to develop a poster using an object that is represented in an event through the use of only color, shapes, and the object if necessary.  In my composition I used color and shape to represent an air show. The concept’s style is based on posters of the 50’s or Art Deco style. For the clouds it’s basic circles with light and dark value applied to different layers. I used this to help the background stand out but not distract for the main focus. The biplane is a collection of shapes mostly rectangles and circles. To help keep the shape consistent with the shape of a real plane I used an image of a plane as a template. I wanted the plane at an angle and placed near the edge of the page to give the composition a dynamic feel instead of placing it in the center, which would give it a plane and flat. 


One of the difficulties of this project was keeping the plane’s proportions accurate. When dealing with shapes they tend to look flat and non-dimensional to deal with this I used two colors for both the clouds and plane to help give the shape dimension.

All in all I find this to be a great composition that worked for the assignment I was given and would like to do something like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment